- Site &
- 5 hours
- Tour guide
City tour with Acropolis + Acropolis museum
|Organized all year daily: 08.45-13:30|
Athens is one of the oldest cities in Europe with a history of 7000+ years.
- 08:45 Start the tour with a photo stop at the PANATHINAIKO all-marble STADIUM, where the first modern Olympic Games took place in 1896.
- Drive on and pass by the Prime Minister's residence, the Ex Royal Palace (guarded by Evzones), and the National Gardens with the Zappeion Exhibition Hall, The temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian's Arch, The Parliament building and the Tomb of the Unknown soldier,The old University, the Old Parliament and the Constitution Square.
- 10:30 Visit the ACROPOLIS hill (Propylaea, Temple of Athena Nike, PARTHENON and Erechtheion are all here)
- 12:00 Visit to the New Acropolis museum + finish the tour at 13:30.
PRICE including entrance fees:Nov-Mar: 38 + 15 = 53 €
Apr-Oct: 38 + 30 = 68 €
Included in the price:
- Pick up / drop off service
- Modern air-conditioned bus
- Professional Tour guide
- Entrance fees
Monuments on the Acropolis Hill
Other buildings were added as the Acropolis was in use, but from most of the monuments below nothing is visible to present day. The Roman emperor Hadrian (76-138 CE) added his own flourishes to the Acropolis, during his reign. With the rise of Christianity after Konstantinos the Great (272-337 CE) the Parthenon became a church and the Acropolis a centre of Christian devotion. In keeping with the Church’s common practice, all pagan images were destroyed and modifications made to the temples to bring them into alignment with Christian sensibilities. Valuable ancient artifacts are kept in the New Acropolis museum.
The Parthenon and the other buildings were seriously damaged during a 1687 siege by the Venetians when gunpowder being stored by the turks in the Parthenon was hit by a Venetian cannonball and exploded.
The New Acropolis Museum (inaugurated in 2009), is located 300 m below Pathenon in a modern building in which most of the original sculptural and architectural pieces of the monuments are conserved.
- The Parthenon
- Old temple of Athena
- Erechtheum and the Caryatids
- Statue of Athena Promachos
- The Propylaea entrance
- The clepsydra
- Temple of Athena Nike
- Sanctuary of Artemis Vravronia
- Altar of Athena
- Sanctuary of Zeus Poliefs
- Sanctuary of Pandion
- Odeon of Herodes Atticus
- Stoa of Evmenes
- Odeon of Pericles
- Sanctuary of god Asclepius
- Theatre of Dionysus Elefthereus
- Temenos of Dionysus Elefthereus